SK8 DAD SUMMER: Ramps, Rebellion, and Raising a KidBirdcage Bottom Books
"SK8 DAD SUMMER: Ramps, Rebellion, and Raising a Kid" by Brett Hamil
A graphic memoir about being a dad, building a ramp, and recalibrating your inner gyroscope by blunt force.
Stand-up comedian and political cartoonist Brett Hamil found himself reflecting on skateboarding and how it’s shaped his life during the forced slowdown of a global pandemic. These ruminations coalesced into a graphic novel centered on building a half pipe in his back yard, providing a focal point to larger themes like fatherhood, community, and the struggle to improve. SK8 DAD SUMMER: Ramps, Rebellion, and Raising a Kid is a graphic memoir that is eminently relatable whether or not you’re a skater or a parent.
- Read the review in Publishers Weekly here!
- Read Tobias Coughlin-Bogue's review in Real Change here!
- Read the review in Seattle's Child here!
- Read Jas Keimig's review in The Stranger here!
Read kind words in "This Week In Comics" in The Stranger here!
- Read Paul Constant's impression here!
- Selected as one of 20 Summer Book Recommendations in The Seattle Times!
Published by BIrdcage Bottom Books
6” x 8”, 64 pages. $10
Full-color covers with b+w interior. Perfect-bound GN